Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Saketumi



I am fortunate enough to live less than 90 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. I've always lived relatively close to the beach, but for years I would only see the ocean a few times a year. Recently, I decided that we needed to make the most of summer and make more day trips to the beach.

In our area, overnight excursions to beach resorts can cost as much as $300/night, but I can have a fun-filled day at the beach (including parking and food) for less than $50.

I'm happy to say that I've spent more days at the beach in 2009 than in years past. The closest "real" beach to my home is Rehoboth Beach, DE, so that's our beach of choice. Not only does it have a cute boardwalk and tax-free outlet shopping, it also has some cool places to eat.

Now, my mom is a converted Delawarean (we're all South Jersey natives), so she loves Grotto Pizza, the "official" pizza of the Delaware beaches. We always go to Grotto's when we visit the beach, but in May I saw an advertisement for a new contemporary Asian restaurant, Saketumi. I love Asian food plus this place advertised a happy hour 7 days a week. I knew I had to check it out.

The atmosphere is contemporary with lots of dark woods and shiny textiles. The bar area is cozy and stylish with a big plasma tv. I think happy hour at Saketumi is a great way to end a day at the beach, plus the drink and food specials are great.

As adventurous as I've become with food, I didn't try sushi until this year. My husband ordered a salmon roll, I tasted it, and it was all over. Because sushi is half price at happy hour I took the opportunity to hone my chop stick skills and try lots of different stuff. I don't like everything, but I've had so much fun trying the different options.

If you aren't a sushi person, there's plenty of other goodies on the happy hour menu. There's coconut shrimp, lettuce rolls, spring rolls, and a selection of half-price drinks. Their dinner menu is also impressive.

Personally, I love a good happy hour because two adults can have a variety of food and drinks and still keep the tab under $30.

If you're in the area, check it out. http://www.saketumirestaurant.com/Site/Welcome.html

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails