Saturday, December 5, 2009

Coconut Pound Cake



My family loves this cake.  People who don't like coconut love this cake.  People who love coconut beg for this cake.  I can't show up for certain family functions without this cake. 

Before you go crazy about the ingredient list, I'll just put it out there:  this cake is a fat and cholesterol explosion.  It has Crisco and butter and sugar.  If that's not enough, it's made with a half dozen eggs than topped with a sugary glaze.  Don't even think about using margarine or Splenda or any of that other fake mess.  Yes, I know.  But, that's why people love it.  It's a special occasion cake.

This cake travels and ships well.  It actually tastes better after you let it sit for a few days.  I make this cake at least two days before the occasion.  Also you must use a serrated knife to slice this cake.  Otherwise,  you'll have a crumbly mess on your hands. 

This is one of the desserts that made my husband fall in love with me.  Please make this cake for someone you love (or even someone you like).

Coconut Pound Cake

for the cake
1/2 c. solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
1 c. (2 sticks) butter
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
3 c. flour, sifted
1 c. milk
1 t. almond extract
1 t. coconut flavoring
1 c. dry flaked coconut

for the glaze and topping

1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 t. coconut flavoring
1/3 c. dry flaked coconut


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Generously grease and flour a 12 c. bundt pan.  

Cream together butter and Crisco with an electric mixer (I use my Kitchen Aid).  Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each egg.

Gradually alternate adding flour and milk.  Make sure you start with flour and end with flour.


Add the coconut and almond extracts.  Stir in the coconut by hand.

Pour the batter into the bundt pan.  Wrap the pan on the counter a few times to even out the batter.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.  Poke holes all over the cake using a toothpick or skewer.  Pour the hot glaze over the hot cake and sprinkle with dry coconut.  Let cake cool completely before removing from pan.


Glaze

Bring water and sugar to a boil.  Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and add coconut extract.  Pour immediately over hot cake.

7 comments:

  1. It's true! I'm one of those who dislikes coconut, and I LOVE your coconut pound cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The coconut on top reminds me of snow. Man, I wish it would snow in Delaware!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this cake sounds so moist and delicious - plus I love coconut no matter how its served!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, it sounds fantastic Keeley. You say it ships well? (hint-hint!) LOL
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh...I have to make this for my dad. He's a coconut fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg, Keeley, I love coconut. Next time we get together, I'm requesting that you make this :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake was the hit of the party...delicious and beauitufl....They all loved it....now I have the perfect cake recipe for the holiday's. Thanks Keeley, from Georgia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails