Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hot Chocolate



This is not a Keeley original recipe, but I found it on Short Stop a few weeks ago and loved it so much I just had to share.  I like hot chocolate.  A lot.  Before I got into coffee, hot chocolate was the only warm beverage I would consume.  I used to think that the best hot chocolate was made from a premium mix from Williams-Sonoma.  Now, that mix is good, but this homemade mix is cheaper and just as tasty (dare I say, better).

The best part?  If you don't drink it all, just pour it in a container, refrigerate it, and reheat it in a mug later and it tastes just as good... maybe even better.

I prefer my hot chocolate a little less sweet, but still rich and chocolatey, so I made some modifications to the original recipe.  I also love to top mine with a fluffy cloud of whipped cream.  Here's my modified version:


Hot Chocolate

Mix:

8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (I use mini-chocolate chips)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Store mix in an airtight container.

For 4 servings:

2/3 cup cocoa mix
1/4 cup water
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a large pan on low heat, stir cocoa mix and water until melted. Add milk and beat with whisk until smooth. Heat on low until hot. Add vanilla. Serve.

4 comments:

  1. what a nice cocoa mix and I would love the mint chips for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. doggybloggy, I actually used minature (mini) chocolate chips, but mint chips would be a really great idea. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to make this for the kids. They always want hot chocolate and I don't like buying and making those packets of it.

    Btw, sorry for the lack of comments lately. :(
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingrid, thanks for the blog love! It's always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails