Friday, July 9, 2010

Buttermilk Pancakes


 These pancakes are so good that I ate them for dinner... twice.  In one week.  Last week was a tough week.  Oh, and last Friday morning I had them for breakfast with blueberries.  Yes, I like them that much.

I've learned that good bakers always have buttermilk in their fridges.  Of course, if you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding one teaspoon of distilled white vinegar for each cup of milk.  Just let it sit for 10 minutes, then move forward with the recipe.

This recipe is a slightly modified version from Sarah at Short Stop.  Her recipe can feed at least 6 people, but I cut it into 1/3 to serve my husband and I.  I also triple the amount of sugar in the pancakes.  I'm not a sugar fiend, but I liked these pancakes a bit sweeter.


Here's the recipe as it was originally posted in Sarah's blog.  Keep in mind that I think it will serve 6.  My comments are in red.

Buttermilk Pancakes

3 cups flour
4 tablespoons sugar (I would add more sugar)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat together buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and melted butter.  I use a whisk and beat the wet ingredients while slowly pouring in the butter.  It keeps everything nicely mixed.  Keep the two mixtures separate until you are ready to cook.

Heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan over medium heat.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, using a wooden spoon or fork to blend. Stir until just blended together. Do not overmix! Scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/3 cup for each pancake. Cook on both sides until golden brown. Serve with butter, syrup, and powdered sugar or fruit preserves.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Nice! I do really, really need to learn how to make pancakes. Somehow I always burn them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop it! These look so good. I had pancakes for lunch but I'd gladly eat them again :-) These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cook my pancakes over medium heat, then flip when when they form bubbles on the raw side. I jiggle the pan a little to make sure they are firming up, then just give 'em a flip and cook them for a few more minutes.

    Blueberry (or any other special/thick) pancakes are a bit more time consuming. Cook them on a medium-low heat and keep an eye on them. I find that they are prone to being undercooked or burned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love pancakes. and if i'm making them, they're almost always for dinner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails