Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cheddar Biscuits


I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to a Red Lobster restaurant, but one thing I remember about eating there is the delicious Cheddar Bay Biscuits.  They aren't exactly health food, but they are garlicy, buttery, and cheesy... biscuit perfection.

This recipe is slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine's Almost-Famous Cheddar Biscuits and they are just as good as the restaurant original.  There are other recipes for these biscuits that call for packaged mixes (like Bisquick).  I have nothing against Bisquick, but I bake almost everything from scratch (it's not as complicated as it sounds, I promise), so I'd have to buy boxed mix to attempt those other recipes. 

(Click "Read more" below.)




Although these biscuits are made with both butter and shortening, they aren't greasy and the texture is very fine and light.  They have a silky mouth-feel and a huge flavor punch because of the sharp cheddar, chives, and garlic. 

I suggest serving these biscuits with breakfast (why not carb it up with some cheese grits?) or with a soup or stew.  Or you could just make them for no reason and enjoy them. 

I know it can be a pain to pay $2-3 for fresh chives.  I grow chives in the spring and summer (they're perennials), but I went ahead and paid for the fresh herbs for this recipe.  If you don't want to use chives you can leave them out, or use dried chives.

This recipe utilzies a food processor.  I find it easier to clean up and it keeps the dough from getting overheated due to too much handling.  Since not everyone has a food processor, please consider making these biscuits by hand.  You may have to put a little elbow grease in, but it's worth it.

These biscuits reheat well, so don't be afraid to save the leftovers and enjoy them the next day.
Cheddar Biscuits
Slightly adapted from Food Network Magazine's Almost-Famous Cheddar Biscuits
yield 12 biscuits

For the biscuits:

Cooking spray
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 ounces grated yellow cheddar cheese (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup whole milk

For the garlic butter:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Lightly mist a large baking sheet with cooking spray or cover it with parchment paper.

Make the biscuits: Pulse the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the shortening and pulse until combined. Add the butter; pulse 4 or 5 times, or until the butter is in pea-size pieces. Add the cheese and chives and pulse 2 or 3 times. Pour in the milk and pulse just until the mixture is moistened and forms a shaggy dough. Turn out onto a clean surface and gently knead until the dough comes together. Do not overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.

Drop the dough onto the baking sheet in scant 1/4-cup portions, 2 inches apart, and bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the garlic butter: Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Brush the biscuits with the garlic butter and serve warm.

5 comments:

  1. As soon as I get around to buying the canister for my mini food processesor, I'll have to give these a whirl. I was forced to go to red lobster about a year ago, and I have to say, the biscuits have gotten really salty and greasy. But this recipe makes me feel a little better about such an indulgence, and it's light on the salt, so it's going on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadette, this dough is pretty thick and large, so it won't fit in a mini food processor. Try mixing it by hand. I used an 11-cup food processor for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love red lobster biscuits. I made this chicken pot pie with cheddar biscuits crust and the biscuits were my favorite part. I'll have to give these a try b/c I LOVE cheddar biscuits

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually did this recipe once and it was so tasty! It was really so simple, even I could do it! So I'm sure no one will have much trouble with this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH the red lobster biscuits!! i bet they taste even better home made MMMMMM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails